A unique graduate programme, the Master of Science in Financial Engineering (MFE) empowers you to succeed as a dynamic professional in the world of high technology finance. Learn from world class faculty and industry seasoned professionals how to implement solutions in areas such as risk management, product structuring, quantitative trading, quantitative research and financial information technology. Stay ahead of industry developments in this multi-disciplinary programme that is also offered in collaboration with Carnegie Mellon University, USA.
The 1-year programme is rigorous and intense, and is designed for those with a strong drive and focus to penetrate the top tiers of the finance industry. The curriculum emphasises teamwork and communication in real life corporate settings, seamlessly integrating current financial theory and computational methods with practical knowledge. You will get opportunities to learn from experts from a diversity of disciplines, spanning finance, computing and mathematics. Close interaction with both faculty and industry professionals will enable you to amalgamate real-life experience with academic research to enrich your understanding of today’s financial world.
The programme will equip you with concepts and techniques in Finance, Computer Science and Mathematics. You will learn how to apply sophisticated engineering tools to financial problems, utilising complex analytical and quantitative methods, enabling you to tackle challenging problems in high-technology finance.
MFE courses are divided into 3 main groups:
- Financial Mathematics & Statistics
Financial Mathematics & Statistics
- Calculus & Linear Algebra
- Stochastic Modeling in Asset Pricing
- Stochastic Calculus for Finance
- Probability & Statistics
- Linear Financial Models
- Financial Time Series Analysis
- Numerical Methods for Financial Instrument Pricing(E)
- Simulation Methods for Option Pricing (CMU)
- Advanced Statistical Modeling (E)
- Optimization in Finance (E)
- Corporate Finance
- Asset Pricing Theory
- Bond Portfolio Management
- Equity Portfolio Management
- Derivative Securities
- Interest Rate Derivatives
- Financial Risk Management
- Advanced Risk Management (CMU)
- Studies in Financial Engineering (CMU)
- Term Structure: Theory & Practice (CMU)
- Monetary Economics (E)
- Financial Accounting (E)
- Exotic Options & Structured Products (E)
- Credit Risk – Measurement & Management (E)
- Seminars on Special Topics
- Advanced Topic in FE Studies (E) – Quantitative Management of Bond Portfolio
- Trading Analytics and Processes (E)
- Object Oriented Programming I
- Object Oriented Programming II
- Financial Computing (CMU)
- Financial Engineering Project (CMU)
- Programming Web Applications in Finance (E)
- Artificial Intelligence Techniques in Finance (E)
Due to the highly rigorous nature of the MFE programme, the stringent admission requirements are in place to ensure the quality of our students, and that this programme is suited for you.
Please make sure you meet the following admission requirements before you apply:
- A good undergraduate degree in applied mathematics, applied science, statistics, computer science, engineering, economics, or other quantitative fields. We will also consider applicants from other disciplines.
- A good GMAT or GRE score.* This is compulsory. You may take either the GMAT or GRE test. For GRE, please take the General Test. GMAT/GRE must be taken within the last five years at the time of submitting your application.
- Work experience is preferred but not required.
- TOEFL is required if the medium of instruction during your undergraduate studies was not in English.