Financial Technology (FinTech) refers to a cluster of emerging innovations that have the potential to revolutionize the nature of the finance industry, enhancing the productivity of financial firms by employing data science and cyber technologies. Global investment in FinTech has been so active in recent years that the Monetary Authority of Singapore has launched an initiative, the FinTech and Innovation Group, and pledged to spend S$225 million over the next five years to develop the FinTech sector in Singapore.
Nanyang Technological University, Singapore (NTU Singapore) offers a Master of Science in FinTech (MSc in FinTech) hosted by the School of Physical and Mathematical Sciences. The curriculum is built upon data science, artificial intelligence, and information technology to provide students with the FinTech skills necessary for navigating the changing landscape of the finance industry. Strong emphasis is placed on the in-depth mastery of disruptive technologies in finance, including financial automation (e.g. robo-advisors) and financial cryptography (e.g. blockchain technology).
The MSc in FinTech Programme is an intensive 1-year full-time or 2-year part-time programme by coursework taught in 3 trimesters per year. The curriculum consists of two tracks: Artificial Intelligence and Operations and Compliance. The courses in the MSc in FinTech programme are delivered in intensive periods of 7 weeks. In other words, each trimester is split into two halves. All courses are conducted at NTU (main campus) in the evenings of weekdays or Saturdays.
The programme consists a total of 33 Academic Units (AUs), with 21 AUs of compulsory modules, 6 AUs from the chosen track’s electives, and 6 AUs from other electives.
- MH8801 Introduction to FinTech (1.5AU)
- MH8802 FinTech Ecosystem and Innovations (1.5AU)
- MH8803 Principles of Finance and Risk Management (1.5AU)
- MH8131 Probability and Statistics (1.5AU)
- MH6151 Data Mining (3AU)
- MH8804 Quantitative Methods in Finance (1.5AU)
- MH8805 Algorithmic Trading and Robo-Advisors (1.5AU)
- MH6808 Blockchain Systems and Applications (3AU)
- MH6809 Practicum (6AU)
- A good Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant programme, e.g. quantitative majors, business, etc.
- A good TOEFL score (iBT = 92 or more, PBT = 580 or more, CBT = 235 or more) or IELTS score (6.5 or more) for graduates of universities in which English is not the medium of instruction.
- A good GRE or GMAT score is preferred (Graduates from autonomous universities in Singapore are exempted).
- A minimum of two years of relevant working experience is preferred.
Dates & Fees
For more information on Application Dates, click here.
For more information on Fee, Scholarships and Finance matters, click here.
School of Physical & Mathematical Sciences
Nanyang Technological University
21 Nanyang Link
Tel: +65 6513 8459