The rapidly ageing population in Singapore, and concomitant need for trained professionals in the health, social and psychological services have given rise to an imperative need for Graduate Certificate in Gerontology, Graduate Diploma in Gerontology, Master of Gerontology and PhD in Gerontology programmes. As the needs of elder people are specialised, dedicated attention within the training to address specific characteristics such as the ageing process, demands interdisciplinary courses in Gerontology.
Singapore University of Social Sciences’s Master of Gerontology, with Graduate Certificate, Graduate Diploma and PhD option is the first in Singapore to offer a holistic training for a rewarding career in the eldercare and silver sector. Graduates from the Programme will have acquired advanced knowledge and skills to be leaders and consultants in the field of gerontology. They will be prepared to perform challenging roles and functions in both government and private sectors.
The PhD programme will have a balance of content knowledge, research skills training, and intense supervision by experts who would hone the deep skills and knowledge of the student. Practice or applied research areas would be emphasised so that effective solutions may be distilled through scientific rigorous research. The issues related to ageing and ageing populations within the Asian context will be highlighted throughout the programme. This will distinguish the programme, and attract individuals in the region seeking to obtain a doctoral degree in gerontology.
There is recognition in the industry as well as in government ministries that gerontology has much to offer for policy, research and practice. There is a demand for highly competent professionals, who have the multidisciplinary training and approach, in industry, academia and research institutes, and the doctoral graduates of the proposed programme can help to fill the gap.
- GER501 Studies in Gerontology
- GER503 Lifespan Development and Psychology of Ageing
- GER505 Physiology and Healthcare
- GER511 Social Policy in Gerontology
- HDS601 Advanced Topics in Gerontology
- HDS799 Dissertation
- HDS501 Qualitative Research Methods and Analysis
- RSS501 Advanced Social Research Methods and Design
- RSS503 Statistics and Data Analysis
- A Bachelor’s degree, preferably with a Second Class Honours and above in a relevant discipline from a reputable university or equivalent qualification; and
- A Master’s degree or its equivalent; and
- A minimum of two years of work experience
Applicants are also required to furnish the below documents when applying for the programme:
- A personal statement of interest and reasons for choosing this programme – 500 words
- A research proposal – 4,000 words (including references)
Applicants without a degree from the local universities will have to furnish GRE scores of at least 160 (verbal) and 163 (quantitative), which are obtained within 5 years before the date of application.
This programme is open to Singapore citizen, permanent resident and also international students.