Singapore Management University (SMU) offers the Master of Science in Innovation (MI) programme by coursework. This new programme delivers a relevant curriculum and innovative pedagogy applied to the heart of Singapore and the region’s need for new business creation and innovation. The programme offers a cross-disciplined and practical innovation and entrepreneurship education through world-class faculty, regular engagement with thought-leading practitioners, a study stint abroad at a globally leading business school, and practical innovation projects. It is designed to engage, challenge and grow Asia’s next generation of innovation and entrepreneurial leaders.
The Master of Science in Innovation (MI) programme is designed to allow international students to complete the programme on a full-time basis over 12 months, or for working professionals over 15 months in a part-time track. Candidates are required to complete modules, a Capstone Innovation Project, and an international residency in order to be awarded the Master of Science in Innovation degree. As in the previous years, our partner for the international residency segment will be the reputable Babson College in the USA (near Boston) on the basis of their high-quality entrepreneurship education programme.
The MI programme is designed to ensure that our students acquire knowledge and competencies that are relevant to successfully tackling today’s and tomorrow’s innovation challenges in various sectors, such as services or manufacturing. You will benefit from the expertise and experiences of a wide range of resource persons, such as SMU’s outstanding and award-winning faculty, visiting professors, successful innovators, competent industry professionals, visionary entrepreneurs, and your peers. Pedagogical approaches include pre-course assignments, case analyses, team activities, e-learning, industry talks, site visits, and field trips. Students are also expected to complete a Capstone Innovation Project on a relevant topic of interest in order to hone their innovation skills and contribute to new value creation.
- Business Foundational Course: Strategic Management
- Business Foundational Course: Ethics and Sustainability
- Business Foundational Course: Marketing Management
- Business Foundational Course: Finance
- Opportunity Recognition and Ideation Management
- Innovation Development and Turning Concepts into Business Cases
- Organisational Aspects of Making Innovation Work
- Management of Technological Innovations
- Managing Service Innovations
- Entrepreneurial Finance
- Consumer Analytics
- Business Acceleration and Growth Strategy
- Business Sustainability, Intellectual Property and Value Extraction
The Master of Science in Innovation programme welcomes all applicants who meet the following criteria for admission:
- Bachelor’s Degree (of any field)
- Minimum work experience (post-Bachelor’s Degree) of 3 years (part-time track) or 2 years (full-time track)
- A good SMU Admissions Test Score/GMAT/GRE Score*
- A good TOEFL/IELTS score is required if your degree was not taught in English
*We will accept good undergraduate GPAs from SMU in place of the admissions test requirement. Speak with your Admissions Manager to find out more.
The part-time track of the MI programme is open to all Singaporeans and Singapore Permanent Residents. It is also open to international students who hold a valid Employment Pass (EP) or Dependant’s Pass (DP), and do not require a student visa.
The full-time track of the MI programme will provide student visas for international students who wish to pursue their studies in Singapore without other employment.