The two-year full-time Master in Public Policy (MPP) programme at the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy (LKYSPP) in Singapore provides rigorous training for a strong foundation in policy analysis, programme evaluation and management. The course provides all applicants with opportunities to work on complex issues which shape national, regional and global policies. Upon enrolment, applicants can opt to specialise either in economics and development, politics and international affairs, or management and leadership.
The Master in Public Policy programme is designed for young professionals with up to 5 years of work experience, to meet the demand for skilled policymakers and analysts in the public, private or not-for-profit sectors. They demonstrate maturity and commitment towards the public service. The programme equips all participants with relevant and practical knowledge and skills to develop effective policies that meet the challenges and interests of their countries.
Like other programmes at the LKYSPP, proficiency in written and spoken English for the Master in Public Policy programme is a must.
Situated in the National University of Singapore (NUS), the LKYSPP offers a wide variety of programmes in public policy, international relations and public administration. The LKYSPP is rated as one of the leading institutions for public policy in Asia.
MPP students will be required to achieve 64 Modular Credits and a Cumulative Average Point (CAP) of minimum 3.0 to graduate. You need to complete the following:
- 9 Core modules (32 MCs)
- 5 Elective modules in a chosen Specialisation (20 MCs)
- 4 Elective modules (12 MCs)
You may opt to graduate without a Specialisation.
The core modules focus on imparting practical skills, disciplinary knowledge, and interdisciplinary competencies necessary for the work done by policy practitioners, researchers, public managers and leaders.
- PP5401 Policy Challenges (4 Modular Credits)
- PP5403 Economic Foundations for Public Policy (4 Modular Credits)
- PP5406 Quantitative Research Methods for Public Policy 1 (4 Modular Credits)
- PP5407 Quantitative Research Methods for Public Policy 2 (4 Modular Credits)
- PP5408 Qualitative Research Methods for Public Policy (4 Modular Credits)
- PP5409 Foundations in Public Policy (4 Modular Credits)
- PP5410 Working with Stakeholders in International Development (4 Modular Credits)
- PP5110A Policy Analysis Exercise (4 Modular Credits)
- PP5010 LKY School Course (0 Modular Credits)
The Specialisation component offers students depth and sophistication in their selected area of expertise. The Specialisation areas are:
- Economics & Development
- Politics & International Affairs
- Management & Leadership
2 to 5 years of work experience is preferred. Candidates should demonstrate maturity and commitment towards the public service. Proficiency in written and spoken English is a must.
The selection procedures are stringent as the programme is an intensive professional course of study leading to positions of responsibility.
Criteria for Selection
To be selected, applicants must meet the following 2 criteria:
- Intellectual distinctionDemonstrated by prior academic achievement, recommendations and analytic training
- Personal character and leadership capabilitiesDemonstrated by prior achievements in extracurricular, civic or community activities and employment history through recommendations
To be considered for the Master in Public Policy programme, you must have either:
- A National University of Singapore degree with at least 2nd-class honours, upper division or an equivalent degree, such as a 4-year Bachelor degree with an average grade of B or better
- A good Bachelor degree
Other qualifications and experience may be accepted subject to approval by the NUS Board of Graduate Studies. Applicants should preferably have some background in economics and mathematics.
Please note that meeting the minimum requirements do not imply automatic admission into the programme.
Standardised Test Scores
TOEFL /IELTS is mandatory for all applicants except those with Bachelor’s degree conducted entirely in English.
While the Admissions Committee does not set minimum scores for admissibility, experience suggests that successful applicants usually achieve or exceed the following scores:
- 600 on the TOEFL paper-based test
- 100 on the TOEFL internet-based test
- 7.0 on the IELTS academic test
For more information about the TOEFL or IELTS, and for instructions on registering, please visit their respective websites: TOEFL and IELTS. Scores for the TOEFL and IELTS are valid for two years.
Application and required documents
Applicants are required to submit an online application. The following documents (in soft copies) are required when submitting an application.
- Official Transcripts and Certificates
- Curriculum vitae or Resume
- TOEFL / IELTS*
- GRE / GMAT (optional)
- 2 essays (click here for the essay questions)
- 2 letters of references – 1 professional reference and/or 1 academic reference
* TOEFL / IELTS is mandatory for all applicants except those with Bachelor’s degree conducted entirely in English.
Dates & Fees
For more information on Application Dates, click here.
For more information on Fee, Scholarships and Finance matters, click here.
Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy
National University of Singapore
469C Bukit Timah Road
Tel: +65 6601 5502 / +65 6516 8004