The accounting sector in Singapore is undergoing a major transformation to realise its aim of becoming a leading global accountancy hub for Asia Pacific. To achieve this vision, one of the major initiatives implemented is the creation of new pathways to facilitate entry of degree holders from non-accountancy disciplines.
Introduced in 2006, the SMU MPA has been providing this pathway to new exciting career opportunities in the accountancy sector, both in professional services and corporate accounting. The adequacy and relevancy of our curriculum content is evidenced by the accreditations and endorsed status received from the licensing authority and professional bodies listed below:
- AACSB International
- Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority (Singapore)
- Singapore Accountancy Commission (SAC)
- Institute of Singapore Chartered Accountants (ISCA)
- Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW)
- Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand (CA ANZ)
- CPA Australia
- Association of Chartered Certified Accountant (ACCA)
- Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA)
- Institute of Management Accountants (IMA)
These recognitions offer an accelerated pathway for MPA graduates to satisfy the membership requirements of these global professional bodies, and to qualify for the CPA or CA status. Such recognition gives SMU MPA graduates international mobility and a strong competitive edge over other graduates.
The newly revised MPA curriculum provides candidates with strong business fundamentals, technical skills for various accounting functions and professional accounting services. The programme can be completed in one year on a full-time basis, or over two years on a part-time basis.
Leveraging the unique SMU pedagogy, faculty and state-of-the-art city campus, the SMU MPA’s professional recognition equips you with the necessary and relevant skill sets for today’s competitive global business world.
The MPA programme comprises 12 courses taught over two years on a part-time basis or one year on a full-time basis. There are two admissions intakes each year, commencing in May and August. Full-time candidates can enrol in either the May (evening classes) or August (day classes) intake, taking four courses per term. Part-time candidates are only eligible for the May intake, and are required to take two courses per term. Students from May intake will complete the degree requirement in May, graduate and join the SMU commencement ceremony in July of the same year. Students from August intake will complete the degree requirement in October, graduate in January and join the SMU commencement ceremony in July of the following year.
- Financial Accounting
- Data Modelling & Visualisation
- Management Accounting
- Management & Strategy
- Accounting Information Systems
- Financial Management
- Legal Environment of Business*
- Corporate Reporting & Financial Analysis
- Corporate Advisory
- Advanced Financial Accounting
- Audit & Assurance
The application criteria for the MPA programme are as follows:
- Applicants must demonstrate good prior academic performance in an undergraduate degree from a recognised institution of higher learning.
- Applicants must have sufficient background in Mathematics/Calculus.
- SMU Admission Test* or GMAT** is compulsory for all applicants.
- Applicants with post-undergraduate working experience will have an added advantage.
- Shortlisted applicants will be invited for an interview by members of the MPA Admission Panel. For international students, telephone interviews will be conducted if they are not in Singapore.
- Applicants must show proficiency in the English language. A TOEFL or IELTS test is required if the applicant’s undergraduate degree was not conducted in English.
*Candidates may only take the SMU Admission Test after they have submitted the online application form. Please contact the administration office to take the SMU Admission Test.
**Candidates should take the GMAT as soon as possible. The results should be sent directly from Educational Testing Service (ETS) to SMU (code for SMU MPA: F8D-3B-56). If the official GMAT scores are not ready yet, candidates may submit their MPA application using the unofficial scores and submit the official results later.
Dates & Fees
For more information on Application Dates, click here.
For more information on Fee, Scholarships and Finance matters, click here.
School of Accountancy
Singapore Management University
60 Stamford Road
Tel: +65 6828 0632