Advanced tax training has been a part of the Singapore University of Social Sciences ever since we were approached by the Tax Academy in 2007 to launch a Master of Taxation course here in Singapore.
Since the first intake in 2009, the training courses have been continuously revised and replaced to ensure that our graduates are provided with a comprehensive programme of study in Singapore and international taxation. International Taxation has grown in importance in recent years, and the tax courses offered here give students a thorough grounding in both substantive tax rules and tax policy and to equip them for future practice, whether they intend to enter or return to private practice, in-house employment or government service. The courses aim to equip students with a framework of approach to enable them to deal with issues and challenges of the real world of taxation.
The courses also provide useful continuous professional education (CPE) offering courses that cover current developments and changes in taxation law.
The courses can be taken on their own and subject to meeting the necessary requirements, can also be accumulated or “stacked” to build up a Graduate Certificate in Taxation, a Graduate Diploma in Taxation or a Master of Taxation.
Students who have already completed the Executive Tax Programme Level III (Advanced Tax Programme) will receive credit recognition for 4 subjects.
The programme is built around 3 areas:
- Tax and its environment – where tax and its relationship with wider world is explored e.g. the law, corporate governance, corporate accounting, the digital economy
- Domestic taxation – taxation within Singapore
- International taxation – the international principles that deal with taxation across domestic borders
There are 12 courses on offer at SUSS. Each course lasts 4 Saturdays, and provides 30 hours of course instruction, in addition to the self-study that is required to fully explore the topics within the course.
Each course can be taken individually for Continuing Professional Education purposes. If the student does not take any assessment, the student will be given a Certificate of Attendance. If however, the student actually takes assessments, then the student will be given a Certificate of Achievement.
- TAX001 ATP courses
- TAX501 Taxation – Legal Framework and Policy
- TAX503 Corporate and Individual Income Tax
- TAX505 Goods and Services Tax
- TAX507 International Taxation and Tax Planning
- TAX509 Selected Topics in Taxation
- TAX521 OECD Model Tax Convention
- TAX523 Cross-Border Tax Planning
- TAX525 Transfer Pricing
- TAX531 Applying Transfer Pricing
- TAX533 Landmark Cases in Income Tax and Handling Tax Controversy
- TAX529 Taxation, Governance and the Wider Environment
- TAX535 Taxation and the Digital Economy
Applicants must possess an undergraduate degree or an equivalent qualification from a recognised institution.
For SUSS graduate programmes that are conducted in the English Language, you must meet the English Language Proficiency Requirement (ELPR)* if your undergraduate degree is not awarded by an English-medium university, or your undergraduate degree is awarded by an English-medium university but the language of instruction was not English.
* at least an IELTS (Academic) score of 6.5, or a TOEFL score of 580 (paper-based) or 85 (internet-based), or a PTE Academic score of 58, or C1 Advanced score of 180 [score must be obtained within the last 2 years at point of application].
Applicants with an undergraduate degree that was conducted in English but awarded by a non-English medium university must produce an official letter from the university to certify as such in order to seek waiver of the ELPR requirement.
In addition, applicants will need to meet these minimum requirements:
- Professional qualifications – eg: ACCA, CA (Sing), CPA (Aust) may be accepted in lieu of a degree
- A high level of motivation
- Provide a full CV detailing their work experience
This programme is currently unable to take in international students, i.e., you must be a Singapore citizen, permanent resident or a resident in Singapore (e.g., Employment Pass holder) in order to apply for admission.
Dates & Fees
For more information on Application Dates, click here.
For more information on Fee, Scholarships and Finance matters, click here.
Singapore University of Social Sciences
463 Clementi Road
Tel: +65 6248 9777