The Master of Arts in Leadership and Educational Change is an innovative programme with a dual focus on organisational and curriculum leadership. The programme aims to prepare educational leaders to go beyond organisational leadership towards embracing leadership capacities in curriculum, teaching and learning. Jointly taught by two internationally-renowned teacher education institutions, the National Institute of Education (NIE), Nanyang Technological University, Singapore and Teachers College (TC), Columbia University, New York, the programme prepares a new generation of educational leaders for Singapore, the Asia-Pacific region and the larger international community. The programme provides opportunities to build new cross-national learning communities and fraternities steeped in both local and global perspectives.
Graduates of the programme will be equipped to:
- appreciate the economic, cultural, and organisational contexts and tensions of interpreting and bringing about educational improvement and site-based curriculum development,
- value critical perspectives, diversity and difference and be open to various theoretical stances and practical approaches in educational leadership,
- understand the complexities and dynamics of transformational educational change, alongside necessary reforms to curriculum, pedagogy and assessment,
- assess challenges to educational change and develop strategies to overcome them, and
- plan, develop and implement educational improvement interventions and curricular innovations through harnessing evidence-based research.
The programme comprises 32 Academic Units, which is inclusive of 6 core courses, 4 prescribed electives and 1 open elective. Courses will be taught by faculty from both institutions, allowing participants to engage in learning from two leading educational institutions.
Students are strongly encouraged to partake in “The Teachers College Summer Experience” hosted by Teachers College during the programme’s intersemester period. During The Experience, students read one of their elective courses in the programme at TC in New York and work with some of the best educators in the world. Participants also visit schools in the New York City school system to gain international perspectives on curriculum and leadership.
The 4 prescribed electives may vary from cohort to cohort depending on the profile and interests of each cohort.
- MALC 801 Perspectives in Educational Leadership
- MALC 802 Globalization, Educational Change and Pedagogical Reform
- MALC 803 Curriculum Theory, History and Issues
- MALC 804 Curriculum Implementation and School Improvement
- MALC 805 Seminars in Educational Inquiry
- MALC 806 Integrative Study Project
Prescribed Electives (Choose any 4 courses)
- MALC 811 Crafting the Curriculum – From Theory to Practice
- MALC 812 Differentiating Curriculum and Teaching for Diverse Learners
- MALC 815 Curriculum and Teaching Policy
- MALC 821 Teacher Knowledge, Learning and Development
- MALC 822 Teaching and Learning in the Multicultural Classroom
- MALC 825 Theories and Perspectives on Learning
- MALC 831 Assessment and Learning
- MALC 832 Programme and Curriculum Evaluation
- MALC 841 School Change
- MALC 851 Organizational Learning and Development
- MALC 852 Theories of Organization
Open Elective Course
One 3-credit TC Summer Course will be done as an Open Elective course. This can be done online or in person at TC, subject to TC’s approval.
Download the full course listing and description of Master of Arts (Leadership and Educational Change)
One of the courses in this programme can be taken as a standalone
In line with SkillsFuture Singapore’s (SSG) initiative, one of the courses in this programme can be taken as a standalone modular graduate course and accumulated into credits leading to the master’s degree.
Important note for matriculated students:
Please refer to the ISAAC system for the programme structure relevant to your intake during Course Registration or consult your programme leader if you need clarifications.
A good Bachelor’s degree or its equivalent according to international standards, with at least 4 years of teaching experience or other relevant educational experience. Preference will be given to applicants with experience in educational leadership.
For international applicants, more information on the entry requirements can be found here.
Dates & Fees
For more information on Application Dates, Fee, Scholarships and Finance matters, click here.
National Institute of Education
Nanyang Technological University
1 Nanyang Walk
Tel: +65 6790 3888