The SUTD-NUS JDP imparts the best of both world-class institutions by combining SUTD’s innovative and flexible curriculum and NUS’s established graduate programmes and research track record.
You will benefit from the multi-disciplinary combination of SUTD’s unique Big-D perspective while having access to the vast experience of NUS’s Faculty of Engineering and access to research laboratories and facilities in both institutions.
Through the programme, you will be able to produce cutting-edge industry-relevant research, which is critical for the innovation-based economy of the future.
This is a joint research programme leading to the award of a PhD Joint Degree. You will be registered with both NUS and SUTD, guided by academic staff from both universities and examined to the standards of both universities. Upon successful completion of the SUTD-NUS JDP, you will be conferred a PhD degree awarded jointly by SUTD and NUS.
- For SUTD students, the Home Institution is SUTD and the Host Institution is NUS
- For NUS students, the Home Institution is NUS and the Host Institution is SUTD
Students are required to spend at least half the duration of their candidature at their Home Institution, and should typically spend a minimum of 1 year and a maximum of 2 years at the Host Institution.
The first and last term of candidature must be done at the Home Institution. Modules taken at the Host Institution can be used to satisfy graduation requirements, subject to the approval of the JDP Committee. The expected duration to complete this JDP is 4 years of full-time study.
In addition to the Course Requirements of the SUTD PhD Programme, the SUTD-NUS JDP requires applicants to meet the following criteria:
- Must meet English language proficiency criteria of the Home institution
- Must have an offer to join the PhD programme at the Home Institution
- Must be accepted by at least 2 faculty members as supervisors, where at least 1 supervisor must be from each university