The industrial PhD programme is primarily intended for science, engineering and technology graduates working in local industries who:
- are interested in pursuing a career in applied research
- seek professional advancement
- wish to enhance their understanding of a particular field or discipline within the domain of science and technology, and
- aspire to contribute in science and technology to the industry at the highest academic level and gain concomitant recognition of their effort and achievements.
- Qualifying exam
- 8 graduate level courses
- 1 PhD thesis
- RES001 Credit Recognition Course I
- RES002 Credit Recognition Course II
- RES511 Research Methods in Science and Engineering
- RES513 Data Analysis
- RES515 Seminar Course I
- RES517 Seminar Course II
- RES799 PhD Project
Applicants must possess an undergraduate degree or an equivalent qualification from a recognised institution.
For SUSS graduate programmes that are conducted in the English Language, you must meet the English Language Proficiency Requirement (ELPR)* if your undergraduate degree is not awarded by an English-medium university, or your undergraduate degree is awarded by an English-medium university but the language of instruction was not English.
* at least an IELTS (Academic) score of 6.5, or a TOEFL score of 580 (paper-based) or 85 (internet-based), or a PTE Academic score of 58, or C1 Advanced score of 180 [score must be obtained within the last 2 years at point of application].
Applicants with an undergraduate degree that was conducted in English but awarded by a non-English medium university must produce an official letter from the university to certify as such in order to seek waiver of the ELPR requirement.
In addition, potential candidates should meet the following requirements:
- Possess at least an Honours degree or its equivalent.
- Currently doing research in science, engineering or related fields.
Applicants without a degree from the local universities will have to furnish GRE scores of at least 160 (verbal) and 163 (quantitative), which are obtained within 5 years before the date of application.
This programme is currently unable to take in international students, i.e., you must be a Singapore citizen, permanent resident or a resident in Singapore (e.g., Employment Pass holder) in order to apply for admission.
All applications are considered individually on merit. Applicants not meeting the formal academic requirements will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Dates & Fees
For more information on Application Dates, click here.
For more information on Fee, Scholarships and Finance matters, click here.
Singapore University of Social Sciences
463 Clementi Road
Tel: +65 6248 9777