The MSA is designed for professionals who are interested in developing expertise in applying data technology into their domain knowledge to solve business problems, especially in the finance and accounting sectors. The availability of massive amounts of data has created a high demand for skilled data analytics professionals who can analyse such data and obtain the insight needed for informed decision-making. This is extremely vital to accounting and financial services firms as they have been dealing with large amount of information produced by their clients.
The MSA programme comprises 12 courses taught over two years on a part-time basis or over one year on a full-time basis, commencing in August. It combines the practical use of the latest analytics technology and data sets, as well as real-world experience using actual company cases and innovative teaching pedagogy such as the SMU-X. This knowledge of how and where to apply technological expertise in authentic settings will enable our graduates to perform the higher-level tasks that are increasingly expected of accountants.
|Term 1||Term 2||Term 3|
|Aug – Dec||Jan – Apr||Jul – Oct|
|Financial Reporting in the IFRS World (Part I)||Financial Reporting in the IFRS World (Part II)||Analytics for Value Investing|
|Programming with Data||Data Management||Analytics for Financial Instruments*|
|Managing for Value Creation||Accounting Information Systems*||Accounting Analytics Capstone (SMU-X)*|
|Applied Statistics for Data Analysis*||Forecasting and Forensic Analytics*||—|
|Data Modeling and Visualisation**||—||—|
The application criteria for the MSA programme are as follows:
- Applicants must demonstrate good prior academic performance in an undergraduate degree from a recognised institution of higher learning and preferably in a Business domain.
- Applicants must have sufficient background in Mathematics/Calculus.
- SMU Admission Test* or GMAT** is compulsory for all applicants.
- Applicants with post-undergraduate working experience will have an added advantage.
- Shortlisted applicants will be invited for an interview by members of the MSA Admission Panel. For international students, telephone interviews will be conducted if they are not in Singapore.
- Applicants must show proficiency in the English language. A TOEFL or IELTS test is required if the applicant’s undergraduate degree was not conducted in English.
*Candidates may only take the SMU Admission Test after they have submitted the online application form. Please contact the administration office to take the SMU Admission Test.
**Candidates should take the GMAT as soon as possible. The results should be sent directly from Educational Testing Service (ETS) to SMU. If the official GMAT scores are not ready yet, candidates may submit their MSA application using the unofficial scores and submit the official results later